The use of video consultations has a great potential in terms of healthcare. It makes it possible for citizens to get in contact with the healthcare system directly from their own homes, which increases both the freedom and participation for the patient. However, it is still important that next practice is incorporated so that the solutions can be adjusted to the patient’s needs, options and capabilities, which is exactly what the project ‘Adjustments for video consultations for Æro citizens’ aims to do.
The project aims to test next practice use of video consultations for the citizens of Ærø connected to Medical Department M/FAM and Geriatric Department at OUH Svendborg. The project wishes to enhance the health equality by meeting the patient’s needs, offer more cohesive patient care as well as prevent hospitalisation.
- To strengthen the cross-sectorial collaboration between hospital and city
- To identify and set up criteria for patients that are particularly vulnerable and have an extra need of support
- To test four different ways to carry out video consultations on the patient’s premises
- To test which devices can be applied and developed in terms of making video consultations more effective
- To evaluate the use of video consultations in terms of the patient’s and practitioner’s experiences
The project tests four ways to carry out video consultations which are supposed to ensure the flexibility of the patient. The four possibilities are the following:
- Video consultations carried out within the home of the patient
The video consultations will be carried out within the home of the patient by the use of the patient’s own devices (smartphone, tablet or PC).
- Video consultations carried out in the home of the patient with a visiting nurse as an assessor
A visiting nurse from Ærø Municipality visits the patient where the nurse will be able to support with both practical help and as an assessor during the conversation with the hospital. The municipality can, if needed, bring devices that can be used for the consultations.
- Video consultations carried out in the health centre without an assessor
The video consultation will be carried out in the Health Centre of Ærøskøbing by the use of the patient’s own devices or by the use of the health centre’s devices.
- Video consultations carried out in the health centre with a nurse as assessor
The video consultations will be carried out in the Health Centre of Ærøskøbing and with a nurse as assessor. It will be possible to use the patient’s own devices or of the health centre’s devices.
Common to all four possibilities is that the video consultations will be carried out by the use of the app My Hospital, which all patients within the Region of Southern Denmark have access to.
Start: 1st of April 2019
End: 30th of November 2020
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The project is part of the program Center for Outpatient Visits Svendborg.